Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Oh Dear

Well, with my big mouth it was bound to happen sooner or later.

Mixed in with the warm fuzzy comments, I got my first critique. Anonymous, but quite pointed. A while back, I made an offhand comment about the lack of men's sweater patterns for anyone who was under 65 and not "a dentist, a dork, or a C.P.A."

So I heard from a young C.P.A., married to a dentist, and not dorky, who was not pleased with me at all, and said it spoiled the pleasure she'd gotten out of reading my blog.

Dilemma.

What does one do?

I know some bloggers have no-change, no-delete policies, which is well and good for them. I certainly don't. I consider any piece of writing on here subject to revision or correction at my whim at any time. This is a diary, not a newspaper of record.

And of course, some might say, "That's my opinion, I'm sticking by it." I considered it. Were the comment in the nature of a deeply held belief or educated opinion, that would be my response, even if it meant nobody ever read this blog again.

But I pondered, and decided:
  1. I do not, in fact, have deeply held beliefs about the sartorial habits of either dentists or C.P.A.s. The comment was intended to be humorous.

  2. That said remark reads, to those who know me not, as something of a swipe against a group of people against whom I have no grudge or ill-will.

  3. That just as I would prefer that people not classify me as a [sissy, slut, child molester, etc] because I'm gay, I really ought not to lump the dentists and the C.P.A.s into the "dork" category without compelling evidence. (And come to think of it, the woman who does my taxes always wears very kicky hammered jewelry.)
And so, as sole proprietor and custodian of this here blog: I offer the lady who wrote an apology for having written without thinking (not that she will ever see it), and I will be altering the wording of that entry.

And to those of you who fear I'll always sway like a willow in the wind and stop offering opinions in order to never offend again: Just wait a couple minutes.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Should I apologize for thinking that was hilarious?

You might be pleased to know that Knitty's July 2005 issue is titled, "The Man Issue." Actually, you may want to consider submitting an article yourself. I'll put the link here where you can click my name... I thoroughly enjoy reading what you have to write and I'm sure many others would as well.

Anonymous said...

Well you responded to my "dorky CPA" hurt feelings...you truly are the sensitive man you seemed to be in your blog--I guess no one is immune to letting a stereotype slip. I'm sorry about your Aunt. Its wonderful she was so supportive of you unconditionally. Thank you...and you are entitled to your opinion.

Anonymous said...

You know, Franklin, if you ever have the occasion to make a lawyer joke, or drop a sharp comment about "ambulance chasing" you go right ahead. As an attorney, it won't offend me in the slightest.

In fact, the cruder and juicer the lawyer joke, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

Here's one:

What's the difference between a lawyer in the middle of the road and a skunk in the middle of the road?

There are skid marks around the skunk.

Bwwaaa Haaaa

Anonymous said...

Franklin/Jon:

I LOVE this pattern from Knitty. Could one of you knit it, please? I think it's so sexy.

http://knitty.com/ISSUEfall04/PATTleo.html

Definitely not "old manish" or CPAish, or dentistish or anythingish.

Anonymous said...

hey, think i can get those mittens you promised me by my birthday...in June? :)

Liga Inggris said...

To create a such kind of article is really amazing,I daily read your blogs and give my announcement for that here this article is too great and so entertaining. Jadwal Liga Inggris Klasemen Liga Inggris

Unknown said...

Mengapa kutil bisa tumbuh di alat kelamin pria serta bagaimana mengobatinya, kutil tumbuh di sekitar kelamin pria bisa tumbuh pada batang penis pria, ujung penis pria, pangkal penis pria bahkan bisa tumbuh di sekitar anus pria. hal ini karena di sebabkan oleh virus yang bernama HPV (human papilloma Virus) sebelum melakukan pengobatan terlebih dahulu akan saya jelaskan mengenai virus HPV ini sehingga nanti kedepannya khsusunya untuk kaum pria dapat menjaga diri agar terhindar dari penyakit ini obat herbal manjur Kondiloma akuminatum ialah vegetasi oleh Human Papiloma Virus tipe tertentu, bertangkai, dan permukaannya berjonjot. Tipe HPV tertentu mempunyai potensi onkogenik yang tinggi, yaitu tipe 16 dan 18. tipe ini merupakan jenis virus yang paling sering dijumpai pada kanker serviks. Sedangkan tipe 6 dan 11 lebih sering dijumpai pada kondiloma akuminatum dan neoplasia intraepitelial serviks derajat ringan.

Unknown said...

Kondiloma akuminatum ialah vegetasi oleh Human Papiloma Virus tipe tertentu, bertangkai, dan permukaannya berjonjot. Tipe HPV tertentu mempunyai potensi onkogenik yang tinggi yaitu tipe 16 dan 18. tipe ini merupakan jenis virus yang paling sering dijumpai pada kanker serviks. Sedangkan tipe 6 dan 11 lebih sering dijumpai pada kondiloma akuminatum dan neoplasia intraepitelial serviks derajat ringan. Kondiloma akuminatum ialah vegetasi oleh Human Papiloma Virus tipe tertentu, bertangkai, dan permukaannya berjonjot. Tipe HPV tertentu mempunyai potensi onkogenik yang tinggi, yaitu tipe 16 dan 18. tipe ini merupakan jenis virus yang paling sering dijumpai pada kanker serviks. Sedangkan tipe 6 dan 11 lebih sering dijumpai pada kondiloma akuminatum dan neoplasia intraepitelial serviks derajat ringan segera kontak kami untuk mendapatkan obat kutil kelamin paling manjur

Obat Wasir said...

obat wasir alami obat wasir atau ambeien obat wasir racikan herbal cara mengatasi penyakit wasir obat wasir terampuh obat wasir herbal herbal denature

Unknown said...


Banyak diantara kita yang mungkin sudah tahu bahwa penyakit ini memalukan dan bisa membuat penderitanya menjadi frustasi Penderita kadang merasa enggan melakukan pemeriksaan karena Mereka dapat muncul secara sendiri-sendiri atau berkelompok. kutil dapat muncul pada rektum dan daerah sekitarnya.membayangkan dokter yang akan melihat organ kelaminya Tapi ingatlah bahwa faktor malu itu yang bisa menjadikankan penyakit anda ini semakin lebih serius. Misalnya dengan munculnya rasa gatal-gatal pada daerah yang terinfeksi.

rdimas390 said...

Human life in obat maag this world only for one purpose, worship the produk green world creator. This oil comes from fatty tissues. Healthy obat kanker hati fish fats derived from larger fish such as whales. Today obat kuat we wish are friends with me o allah, may the sale I exceed 100 bottles so that the salary I ride again Amin:)
Slimming Capsule

Unknown said...

Dysentery is an infection that attacks the intestine that causes diarrhea accompanied by blood or mucus.
Obat Disentri

Unknown said...

Obat Batuk Gejala TBC Yang Alami || Cara Mengatasi Sesak Nafas Akibat Asam Lambung