Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Baby, It's Cold Outside

This entry is for recordkeeping purposes. The finished object was presented weeks ago, but I've not put up a photo for the record until now. Sue me.



Item: Baby Bonnet

Pattern Sources:
Basic bonnet from Last Minute Knitted Gifts by Joelle Hoverson; lace edging is "Doris" from Heirloom Knitting by Sharon Miller

Yarn: White 100% acrylic sport-weight "baby" yarn from unknown company

Needles: Heck if I remember. Addi Turbo US5 circular, most likely

Notes: Part of a little ensemble that also included a zigzag rib scarf and a baby hat in the same yarn. I neglected to get finished photos of these two items; in-progress photos are here.

The Doris edging is extremely pretty and not difficult to knit. Edging was knit separately to proper length (allowing some fullness) and whip-stitched with the knitting yarn to the edge of the bonnet.

Deviated from bonnet pattern in not giving I-cord edge to front opening as curled edge looked very pretty and reduced depth of bonnet giving (I think) better fit for a newborn.

And quite by coincidence, the baby for whom this was made was born just after 5 a.m. this morning. Welcome to the world, Samuel Francis, and may it treat you gently.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, cool! Happy birth-day, little one! Beautiful bonnet, Franklin. I think every new person should have something made just for them to welcome them like that--thank you for doing that.

Anonymous said...

I am undone! It's beautiful. A wonderful welcome gift for Samuel; I hope this will spur him into knitting when he is older.

I know I'm not a baby, but I want one too.

goblinbox said...

Nice knittin', mister!

Anonymous said...

Franklin,

You don't know me from a "cake of soap" as my dear late father used to say, but your cartoons have been giving me the chuckles for weeks now.

Thanks a million!

LornaJay said...

Franklin: several months ago you treated us to a description of your knitting of Istvan.

As a result of that, I've started (and almost finished) a bear for my band-new 1st cousin once removed, and I'm stuck here.

Do you have any advice on the construction of bear faces and attachment of bear ears?

Many thanks.

Jean said...

Happy Birthday, Samuel, and many happy returns!

But whom did the world ever treat gently? Let's wish for you, rather, the oomph! to stand up to the bastards.

With all blessings,

Jean

boobookittyfug said...

Sweet bonnet. Love the lace "helmet" effect.

Suggestion for back and forth knitting in stockinette: Try a smaller needle on the purl rows and see if that ridge goes away. Sometimes continental-style knitters get a loose purl; the smaller needle helps even it out.

judi bola said...

I like this blog so much, saved to my bookmarks. "American soldiers must be turned into lambs and eating them is tolerated." by Muammar Qaddafi.

Unknown said...

Nice post! Can’t wait for the next one. Keep stuff like this coming.

Asus - 17.3" Laptop - 4GB Memory - 500GB Hard Drive - Black

Asus - Vivobook 14" Touch-Screen Laptop - 4GB Memory - 500GB Hard Drive - Black

andalangue said...

Blog Andalangue adalah blog remaja yang mengulas tentang kata kata , music, jasa, dll seperti : download musik mp3 gratis , kata kata cinta , cetak buku yasin murah jakarta , dugem house musik nonstop remix yang diupdate untuk pembaca setia blog andalan gue.

kata kata mutiara said...

Very elegant shaping. I think you'd love the Hanne Falkenberg designs -- similarly well engineered and interesting to knit. Lucky Sister.

kata kata mutiara said...

Nice knittin', mister!

Kcthakur058@bloggest said...

Thanks for sharing great informational content.
Checkout best commercial door repair services in usa.