- The Danube porfolio is finished. All prints printed, mounted, captioned.
- I have a Web site and a domain name. The site is far from ready to launch, although the basic design is complete. I'm facing the formidable task of readying about 50 photos for online display, and also putting together the first view of the portrait project. Now that I have the domain name, I can finally get my business cards printed.
- I schmoozed a little. My neighborhood's Chamber of Commerce sponsored a fairly large art fair this weekend, running right down the busiest part of Broadway (one of our two main arteries - the other being the famous Halsted Street, which sports several dozen gay clubs). I spoke to a nice woman at the Chamber's tent about exhibiting next year. Just doing that took all my gumption. She asked me, "Are you an artist?" and I said, "Yes." That was the first time I've ever said that, instead of giving my standard reply, "No–just a devoted amateur."
- I realized that I no longer hate my own work. C and I meandered through the stuff on display and for once I didn't look at all of it and think, that's so much better than what I do. I won't say I'm satisfied with myself. I never will be. I don't think anybody who does anything creative ever should be "satisfied." But I don't think my stuff is entirely without merit or completely derivative, either. (You are welcome to think so, of course. That's your prerogative.)
- The first sleeve of the Rhinebeck sweater is finished. I frogged back about five rows. No big deal.
- The second sleeve is 3/4 finished. Much smoother sailing than the first one. Most happily, they match.
- I like the new Knitty. Probably the best yet. I won't offer my opinions on particular designs. Visit the usual suspects for more learned piece-by-piece analysis than I can give; or better still, make up your own damn mind. But I do think this online publication is finding its feet, and that makes me happy. (Ladies, I'm very much looking forward to the next men's issue. Your first was a well-intentioned product of very uneven quality. I'm confident that your next will be something to treasure. Just don't think you're off the hook forever for throwing us one meatless bone.)