These Things Are Pleasant in Winter
- An unexpected lick of warm air from an open door, as one passes by on the frozen sidewalk.
- The hollow of a man's neck hidden and revealed by the curves of a beautiful scarf.
- A knife's blade of sunlight slicing the clouds.
- Stepping from a strong wind into the shelter of one's own doorway.
- Enough snow to erase the scars from the landscape, but not so much that a pleasant stroll is impossible.
- The luxury of too many blankets, especially as one wakes beneath them in the morning.
- The approach of a distant storm, contemplated from a favorite chair while wrapped in a shawl.
- Streaks of blue water between sheets of white ice on the lake.
- Rough weather that prevents one from attending a dull party, and gives the gift of many hours to knit without interruption.