Monday, October 10, 2005

Dead Scanner = No Cartoon

Ah, such timing.

My scanners (work and home) have completely given up the ghost, which means this happy, happy day will get no triumphant cartoon however much I feel it may deserve one.

The Rhinebeck sweater underarms are woven/grafted/kitchenered/freakin' finished.

They look good, if I may say so myself. I did the first one in about 10 minutes, and the second in about five. The joyful little dance that followed lasted about twenty, with a brief pause for chocolate milk. I may have even shouted "Wheeee." Perhaps I should get out more.

I'm almost done with sleeve cuff the first, and expect to finish it tonight and begin sleeve cuff the second. Second and last. I'm so glad I'm not an octopus.

Then: blocking. Because my life isn't full of enough exciting new experiences right this minute.

Of course, I've just read the essay in Yarn Harlot's new book about the sweater that, when it got wet, suddenly began to spread and grow like a fungus in the warm summer rain. May I ask, please, if anybody has had anything of the sort happen with Jo Sharp DK Wool? If so, maybe I'll just try to shake all the cookie crumbs out of it and call it a day.

Assuming that it, and I, survive the blocking process, there will be pictures just before I take off for Rhinebeck.

15 comments:

Anonmous said...

now you know you need only ask and you can use my scanner anytime :)

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the weaving, kitchener, finito! (I'm sad I'm not going to Rhineback this year)

Franklin said...

Whoa. I figured 24 hours (block Wednesday night, to be packed Friday morning) would be enough time. My apartment is anything but humid with the heat on - more like a bread oven. Is it really going to take that long to dry? Oh dear.

Susan said...

Eeep! Your heat's already on? (says the woman in the wool hat!) Can't wait to see the sweater. Best of luck!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the grafting. See? Not so bad!

Re blocking problems - I haven't worked with any Jo Sharp wool, but I had the spread happen with Reynold's Odyssey. I even dressed the swatch, and it still happened. Sucks. (http://www.twosheep.com/blog/?p=271)

Unknown said...

You'll have enough time if you do it today. It'll dry by Wednesday. Wool dries pretty quickly.

You can't take anything the Harlot says at face value, Franklin. It's exaggeration humor, is all. Something like that might happen with cotton but it's not gonna happen with Jo Sharp wool.

goblinbox said...

...and now poor C is probably wondering what it would be like if you were an octopus.

;-)

Cheryl:) said...

Rhinebeck....sadly now I am not going...I had so hoped to go and see you....

Debbi said...

Wool dries fairly quickly. I wet-block all my sweaters, and just did three -- a lightweight cotton; a heavier, heavily cabled cotton and a heavily cabled worsted-weight wool. The wool one was dry in a day. The heavily cabled cotton took three days.

As for "growing" issues, that happens with superwash wool. I was shocked the first time it happened to me, but learned (via my friend Google) that tossing the item in the dryer would work wonders. And it did. You shouldn't have any trouble.

Love your blog ... I'm so glad I found it.

Anonymous said...

I've made and blocked a sleeve, not a whole sweater in that yarn - which I love. Softened considerably, stayed very consistently sized.

Be calm. Maybe start with a steam block if you are worried.

And re: dampness - if you DO wet block, get one of those microfiber hair towels, wash the sweater, squeeze it out thoroughly, roll it in the super water absorbing towel and leave for 10-20 minutes. Then lay flat with a fan on it and it'll dry quite quickly.

Anonymous said...

My advice is to steam block it Franklin. It won't need much just enough to even things out. Work the bottom and lower midsection in a little bit as you do probably to help the fit a little bit down there. And remember, it will fit much better after a year's worth of wear, at least that'w what I've always found that wool has a great memory after a few wearings.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on finishing! Now each time it will get easier!

I'm down with the steam blockers. If you are scared that you're heavy-handed with the iron, just pretend the steam is your hand doing the blocking.

I have that you will be fine!

Sneaksleep said...

Octopus. You crack me up! I think steam blocking sounds like the way to go. Can't wait for the pics. And maybe I'll even run into you at Rhinebeck and get to see the sweater in person!

Zardra said...

I wish I could say for sure that you'll have no problems with the Jo Sharp DK wool... but the last time I used it, I was working with the old version (different mill, etc.). I had no problems with it though. Washing it made it nice and soft.

lisamarieelliott said...

Thanks for your article, quite effective info.