Friday, October 07, 2005

Captain Shortguy Vs. Weavezilla



Who will win? Tune in next week to find out!

Today's cartoon is dedicated to hot mama Colleen, who caused a copy of Interweave's facsimile reissue of Weldon's Practical Needlework to be deposited in my mailbox. It is so gorgeous that the minute I took it out of the wrapper I had to excuse myself to be alone with it. My dear, the idea of knitting a shawl from an 1880s pattern thrills me through and through and I will name the first one after you.

And my heartiest thanks to all of you for the advice on places to look for guidance on kitchener. I've gone two rounds with the first seam, and came within one stitch of perfection the second time. I find the process isn't hard, no. The problem lies in getting distracted while I'm working on it, and then forgetting what I just did to which stitch. I can usually figure it out. Usually. The one time I didn't, the sweater won.

But I'll be damned if a pile of wool is going to take me down. VincerĂ²!

Join The Glee Club

I would like to mention that C, a veteran blogger who has been on a long hiatus, has begun a new blog. Go read it and you will likely fall in love with him, too. (Hands off, though, or you're in for a world of hurt, capisce?)

New Shirt

There's another new design in the shop. It's not a cartoon, but I hope y'all will like it. The cartoons are taking a while because, well, making something by hand takes longer. If you read this blog, it's a situation you understand.

I am deeply distressed to learn that Cafe Press is low on plus sizes. I hate that. I'm going to see what I can do to remedy it.

14 comments:

Unknown said...

I joined the club.

He's an amazing writer. Not unlike yourself, Cap'n Shortguy.

Christina said...

Cap'n, have you ever tried saying capisce to an authentic Italian? My friends dared me before my trip to Rome last summer. I did it, and the man looked as if he wanted to flaggelate me. Just a warning.

Anonymous said...

I am SO glad you liked the book. I knew you would. Please make sure you let me know exactly which shawl you're knitting so I can follow along in MY Weldon's - vicariously of course since I have so many damn things on the needles now that I MUST. FINISH.

I love all your cartoons. Love 'em!

TurnipToes said...

I can not wait to see how the sweater turned out. And I totally understand your fascination with creating things from vintage patterns. I can not wait to see how that project progresses. I may even have to find a copy and try to knit along as well.

Rebekah Ravenscroft-Scott said...

thanks for the cartoon!!!

Anonymous said...

You have got yourself some nice boyfriend. But I think I've said that before. Thanks for sending us over there for a read.

birdfarm said...

I LOVE THE BAG!!!!!!

and the Glee Club. And the drawing.

Just FYI, Christina dear, Franklin's mama is Italian and his family is full of authentic Italians, and his "capisce" is as authentic as they come. When he promises a world of hurt, you believe him--"Shortguy" or no.

Cheryl:) said...

I love Captain Shortguy...

he may become as famous as

CAPTAIN UNDERPANTS!

Anonymous said...

Those drawings of yours just make me want to say "Thurber." Wendy S.

dragon knitter said...

you, dear, need to put "the new yoga" on a t-shirt! i love it!

Anonymous said...

Franklin,
Your cartoon just made my day- really- I am sure my upstairs neighbor could hear my hoot of glee...

Anonymous said...

Thank you to Wendy for the Thurber reference! I've been trying to remember for days who I kept flashing on when I looked at Franklin's marvelous cartoons.

Franklin, great yoga cartoon and the Weavzilla illustration for the way I felt the first time I did underarm weaving. Except for the long underwear and mask part because I don't knit in my party clothes.

Anonymous said...

Cap'n that sweater looked ferocious! I hope you win.

As far as the costume...careful, you might turn into Mark Newport. You know what happened when he decided to knit a spiderman costume...;)

The glee club is very cool. I can see why the two of you are together. And will be for years to come.

Unknown said...

Kondiloma akuminatum ialah vegetasi oleh Human Papiloma Virus tipe tertentu, bertangkai, dan permukaannya berjonjot. Tipe HPV tertentu mempunyai potensi onkogenik yang tinggi yaitu tipe 16 dan 18. tipe ini merupakan jenis virus yang paling sering dijumpai pada kanker serviks. Sedangkan tipe 6 dan 11 lebih sering dijumpai pada kondiloma akuminatum dan neoplasia intraepitelial serviks derajat ringan. Kondiloma akuminatum ialah vegetasi oleh Human Papiloma Virus tipe tertentu, bertangkai, dan permukaannya berjonjot. Tipe HPV tertentu mempunyai potensi onkogenik yang tinggi, yaitu tipe 16 dan 18. tipe ini merupakan jenis virus yang paling sering dijumpai pada kanker serviks. Sedangkan tipe 6 dan 11 lebih sering dijumpai pada kondiloma akuminatum dan neoplasia intraepitelial serviks derajat ringan segera kontak kami untuk mendapatkan obat kutil kelamin paling manjur