Wednesday, April 27, 2005

My Grandmother's Hands

Grandma, Summer 2004

I'm finishing the Amsterdam Scarf today.

The Amsterdam Scarf, which I knit in Chicago and did not finish in time to wear to Amsterdam, is made to match the London Beanie (which I knit in Chicago with Turkish yarn and wore in Amsterdam, and which has never been to London).

It is not to be confused with the Edo Scarf, which I knit in Amsterdam with yarn imported from London, and which I am wearing in Chicago.

Everybody clear? Good.

I decided to sew in the ends on the Amsterdam Scarf today during my commute. Our weather is pleasant this morning for a change, cool but sunny, and so I sat down on the train and pulled out the scarf and darning needle feeling very calm and unusually cheerful for 8 a.m.

The funniest thing happened. I threaded the first yarn end, and as I slipped the needle into the stitches suddenly my hands weren't my hands, they were my grandmother's hands.

My grandmother probably knows how to knit - she knows how to do everything useful and domestic - but her needlework forte is sewing. She sewed, mended, and altered clothes for herself and her family before marrying, supported her three children as a young widow by sewing, and still (in her mid-80s) takes in light alterations when her eyes permit.

When I close my eyes and picture her, she's always holding four or five straight pins in the corner of her mouth.

And as I sewed this morning, I realized that I bend my head, hold my work and move my needle in exactly the same way she does. I even purse my lips in the same way when I'm coming to the end of the thread.

She lives far away from me, in Pennsylvania, and I don't get to see her as much as I wish I could. But I never realized until this morning that I suppose there's a part of her that's always with me, and I suppose always will be.

Pictures of the finished Amsterdam Scarf tonight, unless the Neverending Pain in the Ass project I'm working on for the university kills me first. In which case, it's been nice knowing you, and please send my intarsia sweater to Jon or Tricky to be finished so I can be buried in it.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, wow. Your grandmother's hands look alot like my grandmother's hands. I miss my grandmother so much. I know I don't have to tell you this, but cherish yours while you can.

birdfarm said...

what a beautiful post Franklin. Like Colleen I envy you your grandmother. The funny thing about it is that you might think, "well what would I *do* if I visited my grandmother?" You might have a hard time imagining how it would go...would you just show up in her kitchen one day and say "Here I am, let's start having Meaningful Experiences™ and Cherishing Each Other™...." and it all seems a bit strange.

Or maybe it doesn't seem so to you, because you already know what it took me a while to figure out... that despite what our Hahavahd education and consumer culture have taught us, there are a lot of things that can't be put into words. If you showed up in her kitchen you wouldn't have to say anything, except maybe "this looks like it's gonna boil over, want me to stir it for you?"

Actually you wouldn't even hafta say that, you'd just stir.

But what do I know? Silly me, imagining your grandmother for you... Here I am on the other side of the looking glass, just as you said. ;-)

Anonymous said...

I really missed reading you.

Elana said...

The folksinger Claudia Schmidt does a song called "Grandma's Hands" on her 1983 album "Out of the Dark", a very eclectic mix. Your post made me think of it.

Laureen said...

I found so much useful data in this post!

Parfum said...

Nice review! Keep update.

Unknown said...

Mengapa kutil bisa tumbuh di alat kelamin pria serta bagaimana mengobatinya, kutil tumbuh di sekitar kelamin pria bisa tumbuh pada batang penis pria, ujung penis pria, pangkal penis pria bahkan bisa tumbuh di sekitar anus pria. hal ini karena di sebabkan oleh virus yang bernama HPV (human papilloma Virus) sebelum melakukan pengobatan terlebih dahulu akan saya jelaskan mengenai virus HPV ini sehingga nanti kedepannya khsusunya untuk kaum pria dapat menjaga diri agar terhindar dari penyakit ini obat herbal manjur Kondiloma akuminatum ialah vegetasi oleh Human Papiloma Virus tipe tertentu, bertangkai, dan permukaannya berjonjot. Tipe HPV tertentu mempunyai potensi onkogenik yang tinggi, yaitu tipe 16 dan 18. tipe ini merupakan jenis virus yang paling sering dijumpai pada kanker serviks. Sedangkan tipe 6 dan 11 lebih sering dijumpai pada kondiloma akuminatum dan neoplasia intraepitelial serviks derajat ringan.

Cara Makan said...

I am very glad to read such a great blog and thank you for sharing this good info with us
Semut Jepang

Gaya Foto said...

Great post!

myslot said...

ซัมเมอร์นี้ชวนคนในครอบครัวดูหนังที่เว็บดูหนังออนไลน์อยู่ที่บ้านดีกว่า ดู The Best of Enemies เพื่อนรักเพื่อนแค้น (2019) อยู่บ้านสบายๆ

https://www.doonung1234.com/

Anonymous said...

Very nice blog and articles. I am really very happy to visit your blog. Now I am found which I actually want. I check your blog everyday and try to learn something from your blog. Thank you and waiting for your new post.
Jamb Result Checker
Nigerian Police Recruitment Past Question and Answers

NPOWER said...

I am more delighted and opportune coming across this website which will really be useful to me. Its such a quality post and I am glad that am a partaker of this knowledge. Keep Posting more, Its valuable and same time educative. Thank you. NPOWER

www.npvn.npower.gov.ng/my profile said...

My grand mother's hand Wow! what an epic. displaying the heroic nature of grandparents with respect to their grand children's concern i love this. it is very educating npvnnpvn thanks for sharingnpvn

Micheal Jackson said...

Exploring PPF warranty details
led me to Mum Sports, and I must say their commitment to customer satisfaction is impressive. Mum Sports provides comprehensive warranty details, ensuring peace of mind for those investing in their top-notch paint protection films. Choose Mum Sports for a reliable and transparent warranty on your PPF.

toniaa said...

If you're looking for a festive christmas phone case iphone 11, Claspp has you covered. Their cases are not only stylish but also durable.

Micheal Jackson said...

Uncover the significance of What is Kansas Day?
with insights from The Holiday Hours Time. As an avid reader of their informative content, I've come to appreciate the depth of knowledge they bring to various occasions, including Kansas Day. The Holiday Hours Time is not just a source of information but a reliable guide, making learning about traditions and celebrations an enriching experience.