Friday, February 25, 2005

Behold, the Power of Knitting

Tuesday's mildly irritated throat bloomed, by yesterday noon, into a full-on debilitating bug. In spite of a pile of stuff to do, I decided to leave work and rest, rather than continuing to sit in front of the computer listlessly pecking at the keyboard. Dreadful thing, a bug in Chicago in February. I trudged the mile from the office to the train though the biting wind, longing for death.

I did sleep for quite a while at home, but found myself ready to climb the walls after a couple of hours. So I popped volume two of the documentary about Elizabeth I into the player (thank you, Netflix) and sat down with the sweater.

About two hours later, just as Elizabeth was getting wise to the Earl of Essex, I finished the back. And I realized I was feeling remarkably better - this without medicating myself to the gills. I swear, it must be due at least in part to the knitting. Makes sense, when you think about it: It kept me still, it calmed me down, it distracted my mind from worrying about what I was not getting finished at work. And it didn't give me that horrible floaty feeling I get from NyQuil, DayQuil, AfternoonQuil, BrunchQuil, or OverQuil.

After a pause to determine whether I was hungry (I was) and whether my wrists were feeling sore (they were not) I took a little dinner break, and then pressed on. By the time I went to bed, I'd done my first three-needle bind-off and finished the collar. Get me, Gertrude.

Need to take a picture of it, or at least of the collar. There is something about seeing the collar finished that gives me a real feeling of accomplishment.

I will admit to a slight nervousness about said collar actually fitting over my fat head when the sweater is done, but my approximation of a try-on was promising.

Sleeves next. Intarsia. Scary spooky intarsia. Eek.

Need to start a hat or something, because there's no way in hell I'm going to try to work on this at Stitch 'n' Bitch.

6 comments:

Nyxxie said...

Wow wonderful writing I am glad that you stopped by my blog I wouldn't have wanted to know that I had missed your blog for another day!! Great writing and I would love to see some of you knitting!

Unknown said...

I wish that it had that power on me. I am home sick as a dog, and found myself transported back in time with your entry. I have The Panopticon set up on my Google home page, so I can see when a new posting has been made. Despite being Feb 15, 2007 it is showing this entry from 2005. What is even stranger is that there is only one comment made. This is my 3rd day at home and despite getting some knitting done, I am not getting better as quickly as I would like (like 2 days ago). Oh well, thanks for the blast from the past, and I am glad someone is feeling better.

www.tapicerias.nom.es said...

This won't have effect in fact, that's exactly what I believe.

Unknown said...

The world puts off its mask of jired88 vastness to its lover.
It becomes small as one song, as one kiss of the eternal.
Cheap New Era Hats

New Era Fitted Hats

Wholesale Cheap Hats

Wholesale New Era Hats

Cheap 59fifty Hats

Obat Ibu Menyusui said...

Oh well, thanks for the blast from the past, and I am glad someone is feeling better.

Pengobatan Infeksi Usus Besar | Obat Batuk Berdarah | Obat Infeksi Saluran Kencing | Obat Pembuluh Darah Pecah | Obat Sakit Perut | Obat Sakit Gigi | Obat Anemia | Obat Sesak Nafas | Obat Tumor Jinak

Unknown said...

Kondiloma akuminatum ialah vegetasi oleh Human Papiloma Virus tipe tertentu, bertangkai, dan permukaannya berjonjot. Tipe HPV tertentu mempunyai potensi onkogenik yang tinggi yaitu tipe 16 dan 18. tipe ini merupakan jenis virus yang paling sering dijumpai pada kanker serviks. Sedangkan tipe 6 dan 11 lebih sering dijumpai pada kondiloma akuminatum dan neoplasia intraepitelial serviks derajat ringan. Kondiloma akuminatum ialah vegetasi oleh Human Papiloma Virus tipe tertentu, bertangkai, dan permukaannya berjonjot. Tipe HPV tertentu mempunyai potensi onkogenik yang tinggi, yaitu tipe 16 dan 18. tipe ini merupakan jenis virus yang paling sering dijumpai pada kanker serviks. Sedangkan tipe 6 dan 11 lebih sering dijumpai pada kondiloma akuminatum dan neoplasia intraepitelial serviks derajat ringan segera kontak kami untuk mendapatkan obat kutil kelamin paling manjur