Kids, it's going to be a rough week, so don't expect to hear much from me. These are just some quick notes. Half of them are more for me than for you, so I apologize. Daddy will try to be more entertaining after Stitches.
Which bring us to item one: warm thanks to everybody who not only read through my neurotic jeremiad about Stitches Midwest and lace anxiety, but took the time to offer encouragement and advice. It is helping enormously.
Amazing how tenacious early behaviors can be. School is but a faded (or repressed) memory, and still I have a compulsion to be The Best Little Boy in the Whole Class.*
Aren't blogs wonderful? My galloping neuroses on display for your entertainment. Schadenfreude for everyone, bartender, and ask what the boys in the back room will have.
Actually in this neighborhood I already know what the boys in the back room are having, and it ain't Schlitz.
Item two: My portfolio (remember my portfolio? I started this damn blog in order to spur me on to complete my porfolio) jumped this weekend from about 50% completed to about 90% completed. The remaining 10% is mostly window-dressing - captions and such. Technically, I could show what I have now.
Public and heartfelt thanks to C for kicking my ass about getting it done. He understands what motivates me, and happily his Stern Look is close enough to my mother's to get the job done.
I can't believe I'm typing this, but after giving it a look-over in the cold gray light of dawn, I'm happy with it. I feel confident about showing it. And if nobody wants to hang my stuff, fuck 'em. I'll hang it myself.
Item three: New York City trip imminent! C and are heading east later this month to celebrate his birthday with old friends in the city. Our stay is fairly heavily programmed already but I want to hear, pretty please, about yarn shops I ought to see as we move about from pillar to post. KnitNY is mere steps from our gracious hosts' apartment, so it's a given, but I'd like to know about others worth seeing.
(Tricky did mention to me a place where one can by stainless steel yarn. I'm not sure what one would make from stainless steel yarn. Feather-and-fan Brillo pads? Only in New York. Which is why we keep going there.)
*To tall, loud Carrie, who said she'll be in the Estonian lace class: You sound like my cup of tea. Look for the short quiet guy. Aw hell, just look for the guy.